Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Chapter 2: Demolition Starts

The inside wall removal to the studs started this week, and also the drop ceilings were taken down. We now see that the original ceilings are close to 11 ft. high and tongue and grove bead board. With the carpets up we hoped to find hardwood underneath it but no such luck.

Brent and I started demoing the kitchen. We took out most of the cabinets on the first day. The second day of the kitchen demo was larger and we finished the cabinets as well as started to take down the ceiling. When we removed the fake beams we could see that the brick wall came loose and had very little support. Brent said it would be easy to take down. We were going to work on it on day three but the crew Brent has working on the floors said they would do it for only a little extra money. He said we were out bid on the job.

Now some news on the history of the house, I spent three hours at the records office and found very little. I managed to trace the house back to 1974 and then ran into a brick wall. It appears the man who owned it in 74 was a broker who bought and sold the property in the same year. He purchased seven or eight properties but only one on Mountain Street. However, Zelda doesn’t match the description of that property. On day two I spent an hour and a half searching for a name I found for the house in 1936. This proved easier and I thought I was on a roll, but the house changed hands three times between 1936 and 1932. After 1932 the property description changed and I slammed into another brick wall. The only thing I found was a deed for a property that was close but not an exact match. The deed was dated 1895 but not recorded until 1932. What does that mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment